Friday, December 14, 2012

Published 9:31 PM by with 0 comment

DPP, Day #14

This evening I was only able to keep on my feet because of this smile.

Her Smile
My guitar ensemble played at a children's hospital today. It broke my heart to see the tiny patients listening to our music. I was glad that we were able to provide a short bright spot for their day, and for the rest of the staff and doctors who paused long enough to hear a few Christmas pieces. Afterwards, I couldn't help but thank God for my healthy, strong little girl and pray for the children who were so sick that they couldn't even move from their hospital beds to hear us perform.

Then I went home and heard the news.

I ate dinner with my mom. We gave Harmony a bath. I held my beautiful daughter and cried for all the mothers whose arms are empty tonight. Then I tucked her safely into bed.

I can't even figure out how to express the sorrow I feel for those innocent children and their families.

So here are two thoughts written by others.

I remind myself often that God is outside of Time as we know it: One day, He will UN-fire the bullets, UN-stab the knives, dry all the tears, and remove Sorrow as if it never happened, leaving only the Guilt for those who committed the crimes. How He then chooses to deliver Justice to the criminals is His own sovereign will; we should all tremble at the thought of what He may choose to do, while praying for Mercy for any Soul that MAY - beyond all belief - still be rescued. May God have mercy on us all.
~ Greg K.

One of the great themes of the Hebrew Scriptures is that God identifies with the suffering. There are all these great texts that say things like this: If you oppress the poor, you oppress me. I am a husband to the widow. I am father to the fatherless. I think the texts are saying that God binds up His heart so closely with suffering people that He interprets any move against them as a move against Him. This is powerful stuff! But Christianity says that He goes even beyond that. Christians believe that Jesus, God's son, divinity became vulnerable to and involved in... suffering and death! He didn't come as a general or emperor. He came as a carpenter. He was born in a manger, no room in the inn.

But it is on the Cross that we see the ultimate wonder. On the cross we sufferers finally see, to our shock, that God now knows too what it is to lose a loved one in an unjust attack.
~ Tim Keller



      edit

0 comments: