Friday, March 01, 2013

Published 4:30 AM by with 0 comment

Friday Finds

I've thought about writing a novel for years now. As a teen, I thought that maybe I'd publish poetry someday, but really... my poetry isn't anything special. I would rather work on some of the stories that have been spinning in my head for so long. Stay tuned for more news about this next week! In the meantime, here are seven tips from Ernest Hemingway on how to write fiction.

It's easy to get caught up in the little annoyances of motherhood, like when Harmony refuses to eat solid foods even though she's nine months old, or wakes up every ten minutes at night, or flops around like a fish when I'm trying to change her diaper (I swear, this child is going to be a gymnast). But as this lovely woman reminded me, these moments are fleeting. "Because soon it will be time. Time to open my arms and let you go as you find your wings and soar."

Did you know that you can write yourself an email that will arrive in the future? This is so awesome. Try writing yourself a few encouraging, funny, or random emails that will arrive at a future date far away. Maybe you'll get it on a day when you really need cheering up!

There's been a lot of controversy in the news lately about the pope resigning. I generally try to stay away from political or incendiary religious topics, but a post about Benedict being history's greatest quitter made me think about this subject in a different, more positive light.

If you grew up with a skin color other than white, did you have any dolls who shared your ethnicity? Here's one woman's reasons for making sure that girls have dolls that reflect their heritage and appearance. She makes some interesting points. What do you think?

Ever hear of the term "spite house"? No? Probably a good thing. Here are examples of the crazy people who built spite houses.

Flashback Friday!

The date almost passed me by, but I just realized that it was this week three years ago when Chris proposed! We were at the botanical gardens on a chilly day, in the mediterranean greenhouse, and he surprised the life out of me. We have fond memories of the botanical gardens and go there as often as we can on the free days.


      edit

0 comments: