Friday, March 08, 2013

Published 7:25 AM by with 0 comment

Friday Finds

If you are one of those people who likes to munch on junk food (or sugary breakfast cereal) blissfully unaware of the politics in the food industry, bad ingredients, and grossness behind what you're enjoying, then don't read these nine surprising facts. When I was nine, I quit drinking all sodas for at least a year after reading about its negative affects on health. Not that I drink it a ton nowadays, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to cut it completely out of my diet again, right?

You know you want to look at this picture of Helen Keller meeting Charlie Chaplin. BOOM, awesomeness.

The more I read Madeline L'Engle's writings, the more I love her. Someday when I have way more time to sit down and read I want to find her Crosswick Journals and wallow around in her words. Here's a sample excerpt of L'Engle's thoughts: "I have to try, but I do not have to succeed. Following Christ has nothing to do with success. It has to do with love."

Source: pinterest.com
Source: creativationspace.com
Ever gone back to read some of those high school classics, like "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Great Gatsby", or "The Scarlet Letter"? Here are this guy's reasons to go back and re-read them.

Speaking of high school classics, did anyone have to suffer through read "Moby Dick"? I think I made it through the first chapter at most and then decided to read "Billy Budd" instead. Maybe it would have been more fascinating to me if I'd first read about Melville's meeting with the real life captain who helped inspire his story about the white whale.

Also speaking of high school classics, take a look at this interesting article describing how Jane Austen's novels stimulate your brain.

There's a new book that just came out called "Hacking Your Education" by Dale Stephens. He's the founder of uncollege.org, which helps those who wish to take charge of their education but not necessarily go to college. Dale believes that everyone should have the ability to create their own unique educational experience. Here are more details about the book, if you're interested!
      edit

0 comments: