Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Published 7:20 AM by with 1 comment

Wednesday Wanderings

Here is a varied selection of articles that I've found on my excursions around the web! I hope you enjoy them, or at least find them thought-provoking. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comment section, whether you agree or disagree. Today's links are all about parenting!

Looking for a list of great books to read to 4-7 year old girls that don't make the female characters "say or do unkind things to get the upper hand", where the girls don't have to "stomp on the boys", and where the girls are "looking for something other than romantic love"? Check out these! 

When Chris and I begin home-schooling Harmony, I plan on printing out this list of what a four year-old should know so that I can have a constant reminder of what we're hoping our daughter will learn : )

I am literally writing this list down RIGHT NOW so that I can hang it on my fridge. Definitely something I need to read every day until I can read them written on my heart!

We are under no delusions that everybody who comes across Harmony will automatically love her, especially as she gets older. Conflict happens. Sadly, bullying occurs, even in churches and youth groups and Sunday schools; I've had it happen to me. We want to do all we can to help prepare our daughter to deal with children/teens who treat her badly. Here's one author's wonderful advice for parents on this subject!

Everyone wants to raise a mindful child. Here are eight tips on how to "gently encourage everyday actions that nourish and grow attention, empathy, and self-care". 

If my son (possibly in the future... no, I'm not pregnant) wants to dance, then we will help him dance. The end. 

Many people I know have attitudes that say, "oh, just wait until your kids are teenagers! You'll hate that time because they'll act like they hate you." I even remember one of my uncles asking my mom when I was twelve, "has Lyssa told you that she hates you yet?" When my mom, shocked, said no, then he laughed and said, "it'll happen, you'll see. She's just not a teen yet." I'm thankful to say that even though my mom and I have had our rough spots, I've never, ever hated her or even come close to telling her that! And I've gotta say, I'm really looking forward to my own children becoming teens. Come read about how to prepare for terrific teen years. 

This book "Flora" looks absolutely adorable. I'd love to get it for Harmony for her next birthday! 


(source)

      edit

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great links. And for the record, I never hated my parents. In fact, being home with them was my safe haven from the world during my teen years.