Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Published 7:59 AM by with 0 comment

Wednesday Wanderings

You know those tasty, tasty mints called Altoids? When I was twelve, they were all the rage with my friends. The little tins they come in are so useful, too. Here is a recipe (with pictures!) that will teach you how to make your own Altoids!

Speaking of candy, here is a website that offers candy "unjunked", candy that doesn't contain corn syrup or artificial ingredients! I'd definitely enjoy some peanut butter cups or M & M's that were made from real food processes and sugar : )

Here are a series of photographs that make it look like people are floating! I just thought it was cool.

Photo by Natsumi Hayashi (source)

How would you define "real food"? Does your family eat "real" food? I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what my family's dietary needs are, which is difficult since one of us three doesn't really eat solid foods yet. Here is this woman's definition, as she explores how to feed her family while they travel to different countries with unfamiliar food cultures: "Real food is wholesome and nourishing. It is simple, unprocessed, whole food. Real food is pure and unadulterated, sustained but unchanged by man."

I really enjoyed these pictures which commemorate the National Geographic's 125th anniversary! My favorite is probably Alexander Graham Bell kissing that girl inside a tetrahedral kite.

On a more serious note: C.S. Lewis wrote many books that I enjoy, but his Space Trilogy is in my top five favorite books (as a series) of all time. This article made me deeply concerned, because it gives an example of an experiment done in a modern college classroom that is frighteningly reminiscent of a scene in the last book: "'Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper', the lesson reads. 'Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can't step on the paper. Discuss the important of symbols in culture.'"

      edit

0 comments: