Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Published 7:12 AM by with 0 comment

Wednesday Wanderings

Yes, my child will grow up fast. I am shocked every day at how much she changes. But when people tell me, "Treasure every single moment!" then I smile, but inwardly disagree: there are many moments which I do NOT treasure, like when Harmony throws a tantrum in the grocery store (yes, she already does that), or thrashes wildly to avoid her diaper being changed, etc. This article made me feel better because it said that I don't actually have to love every single moment of being a parent. And that's okay.

I'm extremely excited to read this new book coming out soon, written by a man whose words I've always valued, Jerram Barrs. It's called "The Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts". Birthday present, maybe?

This composer from Iceland used the knitting pattern of a lace shawl as the score for a musical work! Yarn and music ARE compatible, after all!

Guess what? When two musicians play a duet, their brains synchronize. Very interesting article.

Mark Twain's incredibly witty book, "Advice to Little Girls", written in 1865 has some hilarious excerpts: "Good little girls always show marked deference for the aged. You ought never to 'sass' old people unless they 'sass' you first." Making a note to get this for Harmony in a few years...

(source)

Ever read "The Last Man in Europe" by George Orwell? How about "First Impressions" by Jane Austen? That's because those titles were almost the names of best-sellers "1984" and "Pride and Prejudice", but were changed before being published.

Speaking of novels, many people can recognize famous classics by their first sentences, but what about their second sentences? I only identified one of these novels correctly, much to my chagrin.

In the wake of the Boston marathon bombings, I'm exploring a question: do you believe that it's better to not follow the news? After reading an article in favor of keeping the media out of our lives, I wrote a blog post exploring this idea. I'd like to know what you think. Please let me know your opinion in the comment section.

      edit

0 comments: