Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Published 8:08 AM by with 2 comments

Wednesday Wanderings

Since Mother's Day and Father's Day just occurred, here are a bunch of links related to parenting again! 

"Be with me. Share these fleeting and dreaming days. Because all that I truly need is you. And a simple space in which to grow." Beautiful words from the perspective of the child about what they truly need to BE

Here's some motherly advice from women like Maya Angelou, Clare Boothe Luce, Anne Bradstreet, and Abigail Adams!

Speaking of Abigail... how about comparing the differences between Thomas Jefferson and Abigail Adams' ways of raising their children? "Jefferson pushed his daughter to succeed, while Adams cautioned her son against failure. What's a better incentive?" 

"My mother's feminist principles colored every aspect of my life. As a little girl, I wasn't even allowed to play with dolls or stuffed toys in case they brought out a maternal instinct. It was drummed into me that being a mother, raising children and running a home were a form of slavery. Having a career, traveling the world and being independent were what really mattered according to [my mother]. As the child of divorced parents, I know only too well the painful consequences of being brought up in those circumstances. Feminism has much to answer for denigrating men and encouraging women to seek independence whatever the cost to their families. I love my mother very much, but I haven't seen her or spoken to her since I became pregnant. She has never seen my son  -  her only grandchild. My crime? Daring to question her ideology." Wow. Words that ache with sadness, regret, and pain. The author is Rebecca Walker, the daughter of Alice Walker who wrote "She Wore Purple". Please take a moment to read Rebecca's story and why she believes that motherhood, despite what her own mother believed, is a beautiful blessing

One of the most controversial issues for parents is the rising diagnoses of ADD and ADHD and the decision to medicate or not. I'm sure this article called "Why French Kids Don't Have ADHD" will cause more than enough debate, so I'll just let it stand for itself. Do you agree with the author? Do you think there are any valid points in her argument?

Harmony is just now starting to learn basic commands that we give her, like "don't touch that electric socket/stove/etc." and "please come here". As we begin using more words with her, we obviously want to speak kindly yet firmly! But one author believes that phrases such as "good job", "don't argue with me", "you're doing that wrong", and "you're making me mad" are not effective ways of communicating or helping your child change their behavior in a positive way. What do you think of these 10 Things Not to Say to Your Kids?

Would you send your child to a preschool that literally had NO toys at all? Here's what one study found when all toys were removed for three months!


Harmony's favorite toys lately, I kid you not.
(source)

And last but not least, here is a link that cracked me up: an online game for kids based on doing real-life chores. "Recruit a party of adventurers from your household or office, and whenever one of you completes a chore, you can log it and claim XP" shouts the tag line. I have to admit, this is a pretty hilariously clever idea for children who love video/computer games ; ) 

      edit

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhh I like these links. Thanks for posting them!

Lyssa said...

So glad you're enjoying them! Check back in tomorrow for more : )