Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Published 7:01 AM by with 0 comment

Wednesday Wanderings

Do you want to know what a person thinks about a particular subject? Don't ask them "what do you think about ___", then; instead, ask them, "what do you think everyone else thinks about ___". Very interesting method of finding out what someone REALLY believes!

This is one of the most powerful articles on creativity I've seen in a long time. It addresses the question "how does the church discourage artists", but I believe that it also can be applied to culture at large, too.  Here are a few ways to stop artists from being what they are meant to be: embrace bad art, demand that artists give answers in their work, never pay artists for their work, and not allow artists to experience creative freedom. 

All countries have their quirks, but America has some that puzzle me the most. How about cheerleading, where "we dress young girls up in short skirts and get them to dance around and cheer on young men", while all the time pushing feminism and independence as imperative for women's rights? Here are thirteen things that Americans do which seem baffling to the outside world. It doesn't take much to read between the lines.

This is a band I've enjoyed listening to for a few years. Their sound is pretty electro-poppy, but it's easy on the ears, and I like the fantasy-based music videos : ) This song below is a teaser for their new album coming out in a few weeks.



Here is the story of one man who is standing up for the weak and helpless by creating a "Baby Box": a drop box attached to his home where abandoned babies who are physically or mentally handicapped, or simply unwanted, can be dropped off. One mother even left this heartrending note with her baby as she left him in the drop box:

My baby! Mom is so sorry.
I am so sorry to make this decision.
My son! I hope you meet great parents, and I am very, very sorry.
I don't deserve to say a word.
Sorry, sorry, and I love you my son.
Mom loves you more than anything else.
I leave you here because I don't know who your father is.
I used to think about something bad, but I guess this box is safer for you.
That's why I decided to leave you here. My son, please forgive me. 

I cry every time I read this article. This man is a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. "They are loved, they are cherished, and they are worthy just the way they are." 

"For quite some time now, there has been a myth floating around our idealistic individualistic society. A myth that claims that marriage will only work when you find your “smoking-hot, high-class, filthy rich, love-at-first-sight, sexually compatible, accept-me-as-I-am, Titanic-Notebook-Sweet-Home-Alabama-Twilight-esque, soul mate.”  ... Much could be said about where this mindset came from, but let's just leave it at this- Singles today (and most married couples too) are searching for super-spouses that simply don't exist. People expect far too much from their spouse in all the wrong areas." This is a straight-forward, honest, wonderful post called "How I Know My Wife Married the Wrong Man". Totally amazing for everyone, married or single!

Last week, I wrote a series of posts based off the book "The Valley of Vision" on my other blog, Unwrapping Love. Just thought I'd share it here in case anyone would like to read it : ) 

Stranded on a deserted island? Need to get a message out across the ocean? Never fear, today's modern "message in a bottle" is here! 


(source: Firebox)
      edit

0 comments: