Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Published 8:12 AM by with 0 comment

Wednesday Wanderings

Here is a varied selection of articles that I've found on my excursions around the web! I hope you enjoy them, or at least find them thought-provoking. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comment section, whether you agree or disagree. Today's links are all about children and parenting!

"Dear mom who can't afford organic food, I hear you. I really do. And I do not judge you. You just keep on giving your babies the best food you can. Even if you don't eat organic, you can still eat real food - fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, meat that hasn't been processed. Cook from scratch. Use up all of your leftovers. Check those bargain bins for any reduced price organic foods. But, most of all, let go of that guilt that real food elitists may conjure up. Go in grace, mama. Go in grace."

Here are ten steps to encourage your child to become a creative artist!

As a knitter, I'm very excited for the day when my daughter (and any other sons and daughters I may eventually be blessed with) will be interested in learning how to knit. This article was very interesting, as it provides a different perspective on teaching a child the basic steps of handling yarn and knitting.

"I'm so thankful you took your daughter's phone away today!" the mother gushed, her children horrified. "Do you realize we never would have gotten to hang out or have dinner like this if that sleek little rectangle had remained affixed to her palm?" A story about the very real dangers of teen texting, and no, it doesn't involve texting while driving.

How to Stay Calm and Not Yell at Your Kids is definitely a post that I found very helpful!

Teachers get to see first-hand how stressed children are. Some of my music students come into their lessons barely able to focus on what they're playing because their minds are over-worked, under-rested, and stressed out about the million things they have to accomplish with school and life. It's sad. So here are ten ways to help raise your child as un-stressed as possible.

Check out this handy infographic to see what kind of access, time, and type of interactions children under eight have with media. I was definitely surprised.

One of the best articles listing ten true things about the first year of parenting that I've ever read!

Here are ten current psychology studies that every parent should know about. My favorites are "exercise boosts kids' school performance" (see, school board?! children DO need recess!!) and "siblings have no more in common in their personalities than two completely unrelated strangers".

Several friends have shared this article with me which outlines 7 crippling parenting behaviors that keep children from growing up.

Maybe I'm a bad person, but I laughed pretty hard at these parody Pinterest pictures of children dressed in designer clothes.

(source)

      edit

0 comments: