Friday, February 15, 2013

Published 7:36 AM by with 2 comments

Friday Finds

When Harmony pushes my hand away as I offer to help her with something, I know that means "stop, mama, I can do this on my own". This article helped me feel better about letting her be independent.

I've been drooling over this new magazine for over a year now, longing to flip through each issue's pages and frame the covers for my walls. Maybe it could be my birthday request this summer...? So gorgeous.

My husband and I don't really watch t.v. But we do enjoy a few shows that we can find for free on websites like Hulu, such as Iron Chef America, American Pickers, Face-Off, and Chopped. This episode of Chopped called "Sweet Second Chances" showed what redemption is all about. Seriously made me cry at the end.

I still ponder questions about Facebook and how we present ourselves in social media. How much do people really know the true me? Is my online self the real me? The benefits and drawbacks of living your life out loud. 

Beautiful words written by another mama, with her newly born child and four other children, on the turning of the seasons. "These cycles are not like a life cycle, or the slow turning of the earth. It's more like the wheel of a bicycle spinning through a tree-lined neighborhood, the sun glinting off its spokes. We ride quickly and the wind on our faces is like the gentlest touch, it's full of the scent of flowers."

Lent began on Wednesday. The church I attend follows the changing of the liturgical year in a way that I've not seen any other protestant church do. It has been a blessing to find that some traditions are worth keeping. If you're wondering, "why bother with Lent", then here are five good answers. As a woman more skilled with words than me wrote, "Lent is preparing the heart for Easter. Like going with Jesus into the wilderness for forty days, that we might come face to ugly face with our enemy."
      edit

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely post. Thanks for the link to the article on Lent. This year it has so much more meaning for me than it has in the past. All wonderful reasons.

Lyssa said...

I'm curious to hear why Lent has more meaning for you this year, Kelsey! New post?