Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Published 10:33 PM by with 1 comment

December Projects Day #11

Prompt for day #11: something old

Every Christmas it feels like I grow up more. I am learning that GIVING gifts honestly means more to me than RECEIVING. When my sister and I were younger, there wasn't a huge emphasis on presents, but we always found beautiful toys, books, and treats waiting for us on Christmas morning under the tree. I used to wonder at how my parents could be so happy when they didn't have nearly as many gifts as we did. They would have one or two presents each, and some predictable candies/socks/etc. in their stockings, but that's about it.

Now as I shop for stocking stuffers for my husband, toddler, and sister who lives with us, and as I decorate the tiny tree we bought at Home Depot (the last of the least expensive trees in the entire lot, it tilts over to the right, but looks lovely anyway), a spirit of warmth grows. The wreath is hung on the door. Carols play over the radio. Wrapping the gifts for our tradition of opening one each on Christmas Eve, I imagine watching everyone unwrap them. The joy of seeing their faces light up will be more than enough to make my heart happy.



Blessing the Apartment Staircase



      edit

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the giving part of Christmas too. I especially love giving homemade gifts and giving to the needy... so wonderful.

Wishing you a lovely day.
xoxo