Thursday, December 13, 2012

Published 8:11 AM by with 0 comment

DPP, Day #12

Harmony refuses to go to sleep until I get home from teaching music lessons. This makes for some late nights for a very little girl! Fortunately, she's not as fussy as she used to be for Chris, who is usually watching her while I'm gone. Also, they often eat dinner at my folk's home, which makes them both happy because Harmony loves her grandma and grandpa, so I'll go over there as well when I finish teaching to eat a late dinner before we all go back to our own apartment. And in spite of these late nights, Harmony still insists on awakening around seven or seven thirty in the morning, maybe eight o'clock if she's really tired. I'm still crossing my fingers that maybe she'll turn into a night owl instead of an early bird...

So when I'm finished teaching, I drive home (or to my parents' house), sometimes eat a quick dinner depending on how tired Harmony is when I arrive, and then get Harmony ready for bed. We change her diaper, put on her pajamas, turn on her night light, and prepare the bed. We always read the book "Goodnight Moon" together. She nurses one last time, and then I turn out the lights and sing her three songs: a blessing, a prayer, and her favorite song.

The blessing is sung to the tune of Edelweiss. It's what my mom sang to me when I was little.

May the Lord, mighty Lord, bless and keep you forever
Grant you peace, perfect peace, faith in every endeavor
Lift up your eyes and you'll see His face and His grace forever
May the Lord, mighty Lord, bless and keep you forever

The prayer has five verses. Here is the first one:

All praise to Thee, my God, this night 
for all the blessings of the light.
Keep me, O keep me, King of Kings,
beneath Thine own almighty wings.

Harmony's favorite song is a Gregorian chant that Chris and I usually sing as a duet, but I often sing it to her alone. I'll post that one some other time : ) 

Goodnight, Moon

Sleepy Return Home

      edit

0 comments: